The municipal district of Son Servera is situated in the northeast of Mallorca, covering an area of 42.8 km2 and 7 km of coastline. The village of Son Servera, which is very close to the sea, was originally a small hamlet within the district of Artà.
The village in its early form can be seen at the square of Plaça de Sant Joan, which is documented as far back as 1585; this area comprises an open space from where a series of narrow streets lead off, with houses that provide a fine example of traditional Mallorcan architecture as well as some ancestral homes. The Church of Sant Joan Baptista, which is located on the same square, was begun in 1699; The bell tower is the only remaining fragment of the defence tower. There are now cafés and restaurants on this site.
The Esglesia Nova (New Church), on the street of Carrer de les Creus, is an unfinished work in the neo-Gothic style that was designed by a student of the Catalan architects Antoni Gaudí. Construction began in 1906, with the whole village helping out; however, a lack of resources brought this ambitious project to a halt and, in 1931, works were stopped, leaving the building in its current state. It is now used for cultural events.